PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 6th Feb 2007, 20:44
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be true topdrop; we are 'restructuring' to make sure all the revenue from Regional Airspace and costs comes in and out of the same bucket.

The problem I have with ADS-B IN is that it doesn't work like a TCAS; yes you may see all those around you who are squitting (yes you can choose not to squit just like a transponder) but you have no idea about intentions.

The TCAS algorythms provide a buffer around the frame; can a pilot do the same just by looking at a cockpit traffic display; can the pilot adjust in the same manner as a TCAS to changes, when they are busy flying their own beast? We all know that TCAS is hopeless for 'traffic caputre/situational awareness', I suspect in the same way a a cockpit TDI will be equally useless for traffic avoidance (that said better than what you have now).

The issue here is cost benefit; where are the risks and what is the cost of those risks? Personally I'd like to fly on a TCAS equipped aircraft as SLF; but under the MEL what is the acceptable unserviceable time?