PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 6th Feb 2007, 13:39
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuckles.

Ooooer, snort, coke and nose in the same sentence tsk. tsk.

OZBUSDRIVER

I have differing opinions to you on law and bureaucracy
it would be a boring old world otherwise.

But that has always been the root of problem hasn't it. Politicians manipulated by people with personal agendas make the laws, bureaucrats hassled by the same people if the bureaucrats have a different usually well qualified because thats what we pay them to be, view.

And you put your finger right on it. If it works for the FIFO's and corporate iron and especially the RFDS it works for the real Australian aviation landscape, because they work in it 24/7.

TCAS came out of the high density radar environment and evolved into a really great tool for the enroute non radar environment in Australia and elsewhere, because the type of aircraft operating there generally originated their flights in a radar environment where transponders are mandatory and routinely checked for accuracy almost every flight if not every other.

Not so with Chuckles Deliverance country. and transponders are not much use to them that dont/wont go near a CTZ nor have any reason/desire to, whereas a hardwired ADSB benefits everyone equally. As for those with paranoid delusions about "big brother" is watching, I find a roll of Alfoil fashioned into a pointy cap makes the voices go away.

Neither system helps "visually see" the other aircraft any better, but either way it is better to have not seen and avoided than not seen at all. It's Valentines Day soon you know.

And whilst I am at it and as a matter of interest only, is it the harsh nature of the Australian light that makes it difficult, because even with a screen full of non conflicting TCAS advisories I am buggered if I can find some of them at all. Does anyone know if the ADSB presentation is better?? This seeing business is not all its cracked up to be you know

NGATS rocks.