PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Bulletin: Morecambe Bay
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2007, 10:25
verticalhold

The Veloceraptor of Lounge Lizards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From memory the conditions these guys had were second only to a rig radar at night to minima in a flat calm in my list of hated airborne conditions. Accurate speed control is absolutely essential, and is the easiest to get wrong, or have go wrong.

Its a long time since I last flew offshore, but the weather and workload appears not to have been reduced, An approach into the black pit with few external references is extremely hard. Add other potential problems and the situation can rapidly turn into a crisis. P2 was an experienced pilot with not much offshore time, it appears he knew when to ask for help, P1 a vastly experienced offshore operator had probably gone through many a night go-round. I don't know the fit on this aircraft, but I doubt any holds would have been used on such a short sector other than alt.

The AAIB will still keep pulling the aircraft to bits to find the truth. If the aircraft had a fault and the particular part was not utterly trashed in the impact I'm sure they will find it.