PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 6th Feb 2007, 10:21
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Chuck, your type of aircraft should be the typical example for an aircraft owner who should be subsidised for fitment of ADS-B. The croppy at Wee Waa would be useful for a RAAFie on a LJR. GBR traffic can be busy around some destinations with both rotor and floaty ops. The trawler could have one of Dick's boxes and would know at a glance where the chopper is. The 180 just might benefit if the full low level coverage is rolled out. Last known position recorded could mean the difference if he drops off the system. AS a safety tool ADS-B has a lot going for it. The perceived security concerns are a sidetrack issue. No demonstration has ever been attempted to produce multiple false returns. The issue of knowing where an aircraft is has more benefits than risks. A radio scanner is just as dangerous in the terminal area.

Cost wise, the benefit rests solely with ASA. ASA saves the money by not having to refurb/replace radar heads. The rollout of ADS-B is cheaper by millions of real dollars even by subsidising basic equipment for all or a majority of GA aircraft. We get a safety benefit and ASA saves money and gets a modern expandable system.

I would like to here from the crews who have used the system in action to actually post their experience to let us less fortunate types know what we are missing out on. The more information that is out there, the better. It has now been over four or five months since YPWR(edit), BKE and LRE have been in operation. Surely there is someone here flying BN-PH or SY-DN who has benefitted from the extra coverage.

To answer the first post. Why bother forcing expensive equipment on one small part of the industry for a very narrow benefit when with the use of savings and subsidy everyone can get a benefit. If ASA would pay for a basic fitment I would definitely jump for a 480 or similar with a bit (A LOT)of my own money to top off the cost of fitment.

Gaunty, I have differing opinions to you on law and bureaucracy. However, I am 100% in agreeance in what you are saying. Life does not end fifty miles either side of the Hume. Not only your FIFOs and corporate iron but the RFDS also gets a massive operational benefit

Last edited by OZBUSDRIVER; 6th Feb 2007 at 10:38.