PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incredible recovery of a King Air............
Old 6th Feb 2007, 09:01
bwicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very lucky

One of them was my primary flight instructor for about a year, they're both more than competent pilots, PIC was a 4500 hr ATP. They're obviously tight lipped about it right now as far as specifics to the press and such. But from what i've heard, they were on autopilot, windshield spiderwebbed, they disconnected AP; donned their masks, and headed for the deck while they dumped pressure because they were afraid of the windsheild blowing out. Haven't heard what happened to the O2 system. I'm guessing the tail started to fail during the pull out. When the guy in right seat woke up they were falling through 9,000 inverted in about an 80 degree dive, so if the tail was that destroyed before he started recovery he wouldn't have gotten it out in time would be my assumption. But there are a few pictures on teh web of some of the damage. The wings started to fold up about 2/3 the way down the wings, obviously the tail damage, but something you don't see in the picture is the crumpling behind the airstairs. Looks like they could easily have folded the wings and lost the entire empennage. Just glad my friends and I are not going to a funeral today.