PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Cherokee ditches off Kingscliff (Merged)
Old 6th Feb 2007, 02:21
dghob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So here we have a witness (the Casuarina Beach resident) to the accident who described what he saw as well as he was able. Not only was he a witness - he was one of several people who perhaps put their own safety at risk to attempt a rescue. I'd like to think I was as good a citizen as that guy.

I know his concern for others isn't being questioned here, but the thing is he had a decent crack at describing what he saw. Because someone isn't an aviation "expert" should their witness statements be ignored (or ridiculed in some cases) as being unreliable or ridiculous? What if this guy does in fact know a thing or two about aviation but doesn't feel the need to justify himself?

Admittedly some witness observations are farcical, but the real experts can sort through them and I suspect that from time to time analysis of witness statements have pointed investigations in the right direction, or at least offered confirmation of findings.

Well done to the witness and condolences to the pilot's loved ones..

dghob