PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 6th Feb 2007, 02:05
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN

It is now over 22 weeks since the Australian Financial Review newspaper published my article in relation to safety deficiencies (see here). In the intervening period I find it almost unbelievable that the Australian Federation of Air Pilots (AFAP), the Australian & International Pilots Association (AIPA) and the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (GAPAN) have not come out with a public statement asking CASA to legislate for TCAS requirements for airline aircraft of 10 to 30 passengers.

What have we seen? Almost complete silence. Some people claim it is because the Chief Pilots of the airlines concerned (covering over 150 safety deficient aircraft) are scared of losing their bonus if more money is spent on safety.

This is obviously ridiculous, as companies such as Regional Express are making really good profits at the moment and could easily afford TCAS.

When you consider that countries such as India have a mandatory requirement, and all other modern aviation countries, it is extraordinary that Australia is deficient.

Could I suggest that the unions and the guild put out a public statement supporting the move to this internationally recognised safety improvement? Why should Australian passengers have a lower prescribed level of safety when flying in airline aircraft of 10 to 30 passengers?

Remember, Australia has a mandatory requirement for VFR aircraft to have Mode C transponders in all Class E – a world first. If VFR aircraft can afford transponders surely airline aircraft can afford TCAS.