PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Internet Explorer file INETCFG.DLL
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2000, 13:08
Steve Bidwell

Question Internet Explorer file INETCFG.DLL

I'm left pulling out what little hair I have. I am trying to switch to another ISP provider but every time I try, my computer comes up with the error message "unable to load INETCFG.DLL"

I have tried deleting Internet Explorer but there are a number of files which the computer refuses to delete and I suspect others which I haven't found. A further complication is that some weeks ago, I downloaded Internet Explorer v5.5 from the Microsoft web site so don't have a disk. Every time I try to reload Ie5 from either my Win98 setup disk or any of the free ISP disks, I get a message "windows has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer installed on this system, setup cannot continue" alternatively, the message "setup has detected that you already have the latest version of Internet Explorer"

I have tried speaking to the technical support line people at Thefreeinternet who suggested that I try to copy over the missing file from my cd drive, but the problem is that I apparently need the same version of IE5 for this to work and I don't have the disk because it is a download.

Any ideas please ?