PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barcelona Runway TO/Ground Close call
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2007, 21:13
Aerostar6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just like to raise a point that seems to have been missed with the 'talking english' thrust of the thread. I agree with the general feeling about BCN ATC, but am a little surprised by their change in SOPs over the last few months.
When 25L first opened, all landing traffic was routed north then east along the parallel taxiway just south of 25R, then under the 25R undershoot, thereby completely avoiding a crossing of the active T/O runway. It was, admittedly a pain, adding perhaps 2-3 minutes to the sector. I loftily explained to my exasperated P2 that this was probably mandated for safety reasons:I was surprised to go back this summer and find that a straight northbound taxi routing and a crossing of 25R at the mid-point now seemed standard. Was this following a winge from the Lo-cos over taxi delays or something else?
Crossing an active runway on a GMC frequency has always struck me as unnecassarily risky, and a routing away from the active runway altogether seems a useful move where enough real estate is available.

Last edited by Aerostar6; 5th Feb 2007 at 21:14. Reason: error