PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi/BMed (Crew thread)
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2007, 17:18
shafted@work

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let's look at facts

bmed were performing so badly they were going out of business. I think with a little firmer understanding of TUPE and employment law it will become apparent that with saving a failing business, previous T&C's no longer need to be adhered to.
What has happened so far is inherently sensible. Bmeds relatively tiny assets would have been piecemealed and handed back (i think bmi have more LHR slots to Leeds and Teeside than Bmeds entire holding). So instead of this "pot" of assetts being dissolved, bmi have ingested it. A steal at the price.
If I can assure you of one thing, what bmi have purchased is slots,aircraft and contacts with countries that it had already shown a desire to serve. Pilots are the last of their concern as they already have a pool of 6 times as many as bmed. previous threads did not take into account regional and baby. they all work within the group according to date of joining, and the vast majority are cheaper than bmed contract pilots.

The best thing that could happen here is that we all become one big happy family with the result bigger than the sum of the component parts. How these parts shall be integrated remains to be seen. Be a good pilot and have a plan b to hand, as the weather at the destination is unknown and it's a bad time of year. good luck to you all.

Life's not always the party we were promised. but whilst here we might as well dance.