PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair pilot demoted after incident
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2007, 15:34
Jambo Buana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no way whatsoever that this approach can be blamed on RYR management, absolutely not. Nor is it because they are not Safety Cultured. I believe that this approach was caused by cr%p CRM and a pilot with a HIGH RISK approach to his/her job.

The ATPL holder is German and I believe HIS or HER authority should look at suspending the licence, simple as that. This molly coddling softly softly approach to rectifying incidents is all well and good but only applies to those airlines that have a highly disciplined workforce that has been, and here is the secret, hand picked and psychologically appraised prior to employment. This is the BIG problem at the LCCs and rapidly expanding airlines of Europe at the moment. The Personnel Selection at Ryanair is poor even though only about 50 percent get through selection. There is NO emphasis on Psych profile and an inexperienced personnel officer has a somewhat cursory glance at licence and logbooks whilst 90 percent of the selection is based on how the candidate flies the sim and their English skills. Pretty much all modern LC pilots have good hands, but their approach to risk is not as it would be in say BA. (That is why I would always choose to fly BA/KLM/Lufthansa before even my own airline)

To put it succinctly, we are running out of good candidates for employment, and of those left, some are undesirable as they are not as risk averse as a they need to be. My solution for the industry is to introduce better profiling of pilots through all stages of selection, training and checking.

Complaceny Vs Risk, a worthwhile research topic for Cranfield?

Please dont forget that RYR fly 25,000 flights per month, so maybe their incident rate is statistically lower than many others out there, but someone needs to crunch the numbers.