PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair pilot demoted after incident
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2007, 14:07
captainpaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain M,

I'm sure there is a better word to use. I suppose by asking about "overt" pressure what I really meant was that it is well recognised within the company that the pressure exists. Everyone is aware of it and of the potential consequences for non-compliers.

With relation to the incident that prompted this post, I feel that surely working under the continuous fear of possibly being asked to do something you are not comfortable to do and knowing that you face losing your job (or position) if you don't, must have severe effects on the rest of the operation.

I accept your statement that you have never been approached for delays due to non-stabilised approaches, but it is entirely conceivable to me on the basis of what I have been told, that some Captains must fear the possibility of being taken to task about errors made on the line. Particularly if they have recently been personally threatened, overtly or covertly , with demotion for not feeling capable of flying extra sectors.

RYR are breeding a new environment for pilots in which it is becoming more and more acceptable, even if only by quiet agreement by a pilot with himself, to do things that are contrary to gut instinct and common sense. As much as people may prefer to insist that pilots worth their salt will stand up to it, the real world says that with time, the barrier will be eroded. I can certainly say for myself, that if I was faced with one decision which could jeopardise my lifestyle, career, mortgage, car, kids, etc, I would have some serious thinking to do. I'm not weak, just honest!

It isn't about a pilot making a conscious decision to ignore the rules, it is a case of external pressure not allowing him to see that rules are being broken. It is a human limitation. I know many may perhaps not be able to understand my logic, but I can clearly see how something clear cut and specific like the threat of demotion for not flying extra sectors can down the road lead to multiple incidents of landing with incorrect flap settings and at ridiculous speeds, orbits on finals that lack any situational awareness whatsoever, and the rushed approaches that lead to both. There may not be obvious pressure on that area of the operation, but if you are at risk of discipline for not doing what the company wants you to do and know you are working for a ruthless employer, then that pressure affects everything you do.

You had said that the problem to some extent lies with inexperienced Captains. It is really inexperienced management that I see. Management that is blatently not aware of the possible consequences of their style. Management that is not interested in aviation and has not taken any interest in developments in understanding of industry specific risk factors over the past 30 years in particular.

That to me is why this poor Captain and others like him have made mistakes that seem ridiculous to the rest of us. Phonecalls or not, the pressure is there.

Em..... ....... discuss!