PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buzzed by the RAF
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2007, 11:38
blackace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzzed by the RAF

I would like to thank the harrier pilot that did this to me.

When I was a kid I used to go on camping trips to the north Yorkshire moors. Mostly to Penyghent and Fleet Moss. High and remote areas miles away from anywhere.

During one of these trips (Fleet Moss) we kept getting buzzed by Harriers, we assumed they were using us as target practice, big orange tents, high location, miles from anywhere etc.

They would fly through the valley below our eyeline then pull up out of the valley turning tight and do a (I assume) guns pass on us. It was fun watching them and great to have our own air show.

About 2 days into the trip these free air shows abated so we thought we had seen the last of them.

Later on in the trip my mates played a practical joke on me, they removed all my gear from my tent and replaced it with a plastic bollard stolen from the road nearby, they then super glued up my tent zip. All this was done with me fast asleep, I noticed nothing.

I awoke at 6am and soon realised I had been done. I cut the zip and walked around Fleet Moss looking for my gear, after about 20 minutes of searching I had gathered all my clothing and possessions which had been strewn around the marsh.

Arms full of gear, cursing and spitting and vowing my revenge I began to walk towards my tent.

When.......WHOOOSHHHHH!!!!! A Harrier screamed over my head, the bugger had sneaked up on me from behind.

I never heard him coming, just got the sudden sonic boom effect as the sound wave hit me.

I hit the deck with a scream, I landed face first in a cow pat, my stuff went in all directions.

Standing up again and absolutely livid the Harrier pilot circled and came past at low speed, low level.

He gave me a wave out of the cockpit and I was sure I could see him laughing.

I responded with a torrent of abuse and a shaking fist.

So..If it was you, Thanks, it took me ages to clean the cow **** off my face