PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here we go again - Digital Cameras!
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2001, 16:36
fobotcso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with SLF999 about the separate reader for whatever media your choice of camera uses. I too have a SmartMedia reader. The Sony memory stick is good as well and I now have a mouse with a Memory Stick reader built in. Saves hooking up the camera everytime. They're fiendishly clever these people you know!

I would have defended my Olympus 1400 but it's passé now. I liked it because it was once cutting edge (three years ago) and it was a genuine Through The Lens Reflex. But it is big (not heavy), of course because of the optical zoom and TTL mirror.

There are some wonderfully small, high quality jobs around now but small means fiddly controls and camera shake unless you're very careful.

When I dropped and broke my Olympus and caused 10 GBP of damage I decided to repair it myself by getting the parts. They took ages to come. Luton Camera Repair were best and took about 4 weeks. Lehmanns were helpful and provided me with the parts list but took 3 months to get the bits. After-Sales support is clearly something to think about and it would seem that both Canon and Olympus leave something to be desired. Unfortunately they've got the best products. During my struggle to get the Olympus bits, it traspired that there are no bits in UK; all cameras are shipped to Portugal for repair and that's where the bits came from.

Sorry! Not helpful about which to buy but something to think about.