PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Private visiting Oz - Timelines for AVID/ASIC
Old 5th Feb 2007, 09:37
Bigbus330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Hi all.
I asked the question by email a few weeks ago. I'm heading home to Oz for a visit in 5 weeks time,and want to hire a C172 to take the wife on a quick joyride. I have an Aussie ATPL,but medical has lapsed for some time as I now fly out of UK on my UK JAR ATPL/Class One medical. I'm intending to fly out of a "Security Airport" and advised CASA of this. Here's the full reply:
If you intend on only flying here for a short period of time I would suggest applying for a certificate of validation. This would allow you to fly in Australia for up to three months and you would not need to obtain an ASIC. On the other hand, if you intend on coming to Australia this March and perhaps again soon after, then it would be better to obtain a Special pilots licence. An ASIC is required and is valid for two years. A Chief Flying Instructor, Approved Testing Officer or CASA Flight Operations Inspector, Grade One Flight Instructor is able to sight the form and documentation required.
So thats what I'll do! Also phoned CASA to clarify and was told fee for C of V is 260AUD,and even if I bring all relevant documentation to the Melbourne office,it may still take a week to process/issue, as it all is now sent to Head Office in Canberra??? to be checked!
Hope some of this helps,
BB330.