PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Assertive controllers - what do you expect?
Old 5th Feb 2007, 08:38
F4F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPRuNe Radar
Controllers are there to assist pilots so they can conduct a safe flight
Could'nt agree more!
Thing is, as already stated in different forms above, each aircraft has its flight characteristics and each pilot its flying style

Regarding final approach everybody agrees, we have to establish on the more or less standard 3° approach path of the glide:

First question, how to join this path? Most of the folks I fly with go for the conservative (fuel guzzling and noisy but nerve saving) method intercept from below. Second group (I sure try to be in those...) trying to get a simultaneous GS/LOC capture (star) while accomplishing a constant descent initial approach. The last group (to which I sometimes admit being part of) coming, as a result of some mis-calculation, from above the glide, then having to get all the tricks out of the box to save the day, all the while still staying withing FDM limits.
Question "track miles xx, can you make it?". The question could also sometimes be "do you want to make it". Considerations of pitch down attitude, use of speed brakes/air brakes, and again limits of FDM are factors which are weighed by the pilot before answering, and here goes the "eerr". I guess good pilots should be ready for a yes or no answer at all times during the approach.

Second question, when to start the initial descent. Modern FMS permits normal jet descent, e.g. open/profile or level change descent. Despite the fact that the actual jet aircraft has been designed for this kind of descent, I see most F/Os calculating a 3° descent slope for the whole descent...
On the aircraft I fly, approaching MAN and being instructed "descent at discretion FL200 to be level 25NM before TNT" means prompting the AFCAS for an automatic descent, then approaching the profile give it some ROD as to increase pax comfort for a gentle start of the descent. Again, I would not argue this is THE BEST way, only a matter of individual style.

Finally the best safety argument is to exercise caution in the pilot / ATCO interaction. Both groups have been observed to screw up at one time or another