PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned Rearcrew - Will it/Should it Start Again?
Old 4th Feb 2007, 19:49
Klingon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of these posts are way too emotive, you need to stop thinking about "rights". The service is not a democratic charity and in the end must structure itself to meet its cost and manpower limitations.

On the other hand, statements that it isnt policy to support aspirational career patterns are utter rubbish! Why then are all pilots commisioned if it isn't to let the most politically devious rise to the highest rank? Why can't Ground Engineers or ATC become Stn Cdrs of flying units? I never understood how a Regiment Officer could be OC Ops but not the Stn Cdr?

There is more than a grain of truth in the notion that the Nav empire is on a mission of self preservation. I personally witnessed the manic panic over the FSTA MSO posistion when it was suggested that all the skill sets could be accomplished by a WSOp; who just happened to also do "other" duties down the back. Instead the Navs just threw in more and more "Nav" duties until it was evident that they had a job; so much for a 2 man FD. Even as a SO2 I was virtually told to "shut up" whenever I broached the subject so God only knows what an empowered MAcr would have achieved.

Please excuse Beagle! He was but a poor Tanker W**k*r whose disinterest for his CS was legendary. Beagle old boy, you must realise that not all rearcrew are there to shove tea and sandwiches in your face and listen to your cynical racetrack stories of "There I was at ...with my RB's on telling the lady Nav how good I was and blow me we gave away 5 tonnes of fuel!"

I repeat myself by saying boldly that not all commissioned rearcrew were the best choice and I have publicly always lambasted those who seemed to think they should continue in the same role as they had as a SNCO. However; they were becoming few and far between, the majority of the latest crop of young persons had a cleverness that equalled most of the pilot fraternity and would have given them a run for their money in open competition.

I do think that commisioned rear crew should be removed from their direct operational role occasionally, it's necessary to be involved in wider aspects of the service. I do not, however; think that the flt cdr WSOps should be a first second or even third tourist pilot/Nav in circumstances where an empowered MAcr is in residence. How much support are you going to get from someone who considers you a secondary duty? How often are your views and aspirations going to be aired if they think they might rock the boat? This isn't Hollywood and with promotion so speculative, a young thing isn't going to create too many waves. An officer who knows from the outset that they aren't going to make much above SO2 though.....well thats another thing!

For the service it's not about saving money! Its about another initiative that got someone promoted! The fact that it proved to be pants isn't a problem, the instigator is two ranks higher and safe from persecution. Meanwhile the flotsam has to put up with yet another disruption that has de-stabilised and demoralised. See AA TOS 1989, JPA, LEAN etc, etc.

Hope I haven't been too negative!