PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 23:38
Lord Flashart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Blinkz, I certainly will be keeping the pressure on. I spoke to Dr. Paul Collins who handles day to day enquiries, but if this continues I will start speaking to Dr. Evans directly. I am, as you can appreciate, pretty horrified that one JAA state should take this unilateral view, when the whole medical process is standardised and therefore any JAA medical is as good as any other.

In the first instance, I am having the AMC that conducted my medical write to the CAA advising them of the protocol used in the colour vision testing, but I consider this to be unnecessary too since it is a given that any JAA medical is conducted to a common high standard.

The CAA also told me that if, for example, someone with a non-UK CPL who had needed a lantern test to establish they were colour safe, and then wanted to convert their licence to a UK issued JAA CPL, that the CAA would require repeat colour vision testing - I find that pretty hard to believe. Does anyone have experience of this?

I don't really think the CAA have a leg to stand on here, but that doesn't stop them making the process unnecessarily awkward for me. As you've said, the individuals involved are invariably polite and (within certain limits) helpful, and on that front I've no problem with the CAA, but I find it pretty ridiculous that a member states CAA would so blatantly go against the principle of common standards and mutual recognition of licences and medicals.

Cheers

Flash