PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting times in Aussie SAR/EMS
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 12:22
RWJackOfAllTrades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torquer...some interesting points raised. I think the industry in this sector, as far as crewman are concerned, do need to do more to universally improve their skills based recognition as far as qualifications and training are concerned. I understand these guys have a basic certificate of competency for winch operations but that is it, aside from in-house training provided.

My personal opinion is that the EMQ model still sounds like a good idea, given the usual budget constraints imposed on such an organisation. A lot of people say that if they have the finances for a few AW139's, then why not just crew them with 2 pilots and 2 rescue crew all the time? Without going back over it and offering my opinion on the matter, I still believe its a good thing they are doing, with the inevitable problems that they will no doubt face in terms of crew attrition, mission crewing configuration and loads more.

I undertstand they will still crew with a PIC, Aircrew Officer/Co-pilot, Rescue Crewman and Paramedic. I would be interested to find out if these aircrewman receive co-jo training to become pure co-pilots and nothing more? I think the whole idea was to cross train them so that for 90% of the time plus, they are co-pilots and the rest of the time they perform their other duties in the rear of the aircraft...keeping in mind that the machine is awaiting SP IFR and its the way these guys have operated in the past on the 412's...but who know what the current status of the 139 certification is or will be?

At the end of the day, its a step in the direction of improved safety for all concerned. It also provides impetice to the next step for the aircrew guys in that they receive co-pilot training which will no doubt have a lot of common ground with what they are already doing in many facets of their current role.

Finally, letting CASA have anything to do with some form of accreditation for this area is a little frightening to say the least. Having minimal confidence in them in trying to get a freakin medical updated or endorsement placed on your licence is such a frustrating experience, why have confidence in something far more complex such as developing the framework for aircrew training and recognition??? When it seems too hard they seem to hand over to the industry to come up with the answers and when the answers arise, they are often met with disinterest or arguments against...dog chasing a tail. But good idea to get this sorted pronto...most operators treat their aircrewman as pilots anyway as far as flight and duties are concerned so that is a starting point at the very least.