PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting times in Aussie SAR/EMS
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 11:45
Torquer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing the point?

Exactly what point am I missing? At no point did I say that using aircrewman as co-pilots was a suitable outcome. Far from it. EMQ have stipulated that they have received government funding to turn 16 Aircrewmen into co-pilots. "Great!" Did I not say...

"As admirable as it is to make all EMQ aircrew officers co-jo's, who replaces them when they move on? What training system is in place to feed the trade? The military experience pool is a finite resource, and relying on interested amateurs doesn't cut it as in the past. As all operators here can attest, it's not as easy as someone walking in the door and giving them a go. To operate the AW139 (and other platforms) in demanding conditions is going to aircrew of high calibre, training and professional ability."

One of my several points is, if Australian operating aircrewmen don't start contributing data to the development of the trade, the decision will be taken from them and placed in CASA's purvey. Was I not clear enough?

Aircrewmen, predominantly in the SAR/EMS role, have to understand that their continuing presence in a working aviation role without license, accreditation or recognised skills is over. Their future employment will either be imposed or endorsed by CASA. It's up to the relevant companies and operators to decide how this will play. Next time, don't presume that commenters are bereft of relevant information lest you stick a pedal in it.