PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 - Climb on 2 engines?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 07:30
747dieseldude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Engines (or less) on a classic

2 Engines out is a tricky one.
In LY, apart from the unfortunate accident at AMS, they had a classic hit a flock of bird on takeoff from TLV, hot day, MTOW. Lost two engines on one side, however not at V1, but very soon after rotation.
They managed to climb to a few hundred feet, dump some fuel and return safely.

My personal experience with 2 (or less) engines on a classic involves sim only. We often practice 2 engine failures on takeoff, most common scenario is a flock of birds. Usually the first engine (outboard) fails at V1 and the second engine just after gear up.
In my view, 2nd engine failure before gear up is remotely survivable at high weight/temperature.
But, once you get the gear up, even with flaps 20, you can make it.
With flaps 10, usualy it's not a problem, you climb slowly or maintain altitude to allow flap retraction to flaps 1 (as mentioned before me, you would want to keep flaps 1 to have the outboard ailerons functioning).
With flaps 20 (which is usually the case in heavy t/os) you will sink on 2 engines. The trick is to slowly move the flaps to 10, in small increments, while maintaing altitude or even while losing a few feet, as the speed builds up slowly.
In the sim it works fine.

3 Engines out.....
I did my initial 747 rating with Capt. Jim Smille, may he rest in peace. He is truly one of the greatest.
After the first few days on the training, he let us get to know the edges of the envelope - from the outside.
Among other stuff, we did 3 engine failure, at 5000' level, at 250 tons (not too heavy). Now I can't remember if the one we had left was inboard or outboard, but we did the approach, go-around from 500' (yes, after gear down) and back to landing again.
Same Capt. Smille also gave us a gimly - approach from altitude with no engines, worked fine as well.

My guess is that the -400 will perform even better.

Kids, do not try this at home!