PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 23:02
bmibaby.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's interesting that an off-hand comment about bmi potentially selling bmibaby to raise funds for their mediumhaul expansion and moving away from the no-frills market, has suddenly flowered into an in depth look at the potential of EasyJet buying bmibaby. As far as I can tell, the two airlines have very little commonality, with the exception of similar route networks (frankly Jersey and the Irish routes would go immediately whilst Rome would move to CIA.) EasyJet are trying to get rid of the Boeing 737-300 which makes up the backbone of our fleet, indeed many of the "new" 733s now pottering about our fleet are geriatrics that EasyJet have retired. To suddenly take on our complex labour relations, a second head office with considerable British Midland overheads, bases which are too close together and a geriatric fleet, I don't see how on earth we'd be appealing to EZY, who following the Go merger have sworn by organic growth. With their successful business model, attractive new uniform and very efficient fleet, I wouldn't be opposed to an EZY bid for bmibaby, but I don't think they'll be knocking on our door any time soon.