PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 12:05
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems that no one here claims that A306 rudder is impeccable, after all NTSB listed its sensitivity as a contributory factor.

Where we split in two groups is when we discuss what should be done about it.

First group says: almost nothing; while unusal, it will not bite you if you use it properly. Just emphasise the proper use and teach the pilot what to expect if they misuse it. Extremists like me even claim that it was covered in basic aerodynamics during our ATPL courses and go on to lament about declining quality of pilot trainning, learning by rote in order to tick the boxes, "what you donīt know can kill you", etc, etc...

Second group thinks that it is serious design fault, it should be reworked, the airplane shouldnīt be allowed to fly, etc.. Implicit in this position is that airline pilot really need totally foolproof systems to do their jobs properly.

Personallly, I find second attitude very patronizing, almost to the point of being insulting. Then again itīs not a fact; just my opinion.