PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 12:04
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theamrad
...in general I think the NTSB do an outstanding job, and not only within the US - many states around the world call on their expertise or technical assistance. In certain circumstances it sometimes looks like they have to step into a bear pit of parties and their conflicting interests. To me, it always seems like they lost their naivety over the 737 rudder reversals issue. The only room for improvement that I can see is with the relationship between the NTSB and FAA over the timely enforcement of NTSB recommendations. Since many places around the world take their lead in regulatory matters from the FAA, it's a matter that concerns safety both outside as well as within the US.
Hi theamrad:

Again - thanks for the very thoughtful comments. I very much agree with you on your comments regarding the NTSB. Not only do they provide the world's aviation interests some very valuable safety information as a result of the investigations they conduct, I think they also serve a necessary function as an "official" critique of FAA rules, practices, and policies.
In fact many - perhaps most - of the safety recommendations the Board makes to the FAA are incorporated into the business of US aviation.

However, because of the burdensome regulatory process and because the opportunity for those being regulated to register complaints with their elected officials in the US Congress is always there and used whenever thought necessary, it isn't as "easy" as it may seem to just implement the Board's recommendations. And, to be completely fair, there are some recommendations that border on the superfluous.

I also agree with your comment that you believe "they lost their naivety over the 737 rudder reversals issue." With me, it was the Air Florida crash in Washington, DC where the "causes" and "contributing causes" determined by the Board seemed to either overlook or disregard evidence contained in the report. Again, while, like you, I do not intend to impugn the integrity of the Board or of the extremely fine professionals who have provided, and continue to provide, valuable information to aviation interests, and while there is little doubt that some extremely valuable information was generated from that particular accident investigation (information that I believe has benefited all who fly in winter weather), I also believe the "naivety" you mention was uncovered (in at least this instance) for anyone interested to see.

I, too, look forward to exhanging ideas, thoughts, and beliefs in future topics here. It is "hangar flying" like this where I believe many really are able to "get into" the "nuts and bolts" of what aviation really is. Thanks again for your generous contributions to that effort!