PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Question
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 07:36
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirls is right - go and try the medical. I'd tell you that even if you didn't have any kind of problem - no point in spending shedloads of money and getting your hopes up unless you know for certain that you can pass a medical.

Now...
In reality I've studied heli flight enough over the years to probably go fly with very little instuction ,
Look, mate, as an instructor let me tell you something. I don't care how much you've studied, and what you think you know, actually flying a helicopter is very, very different - and you'll still find it difficult in the beginning; we all do. What do you mean by "very little instruction"? You may know about the theory, but you'll still need an instructor to sit there for quite a long time to prevent you killing yourself while you master the controls, and actually, that's most of what we do!!! And while you're doing that, be prepared to listen to what he/she says. I'm met people who think they know it all, or most of it, and on the whole they take ages to learn because they won't listen and refuse to learn from someone with more experience. I'm not saying you'll be like that...but just make sure you're not, or it'll take you much longer than it should.

In fact, when you start learning to fly - if you do - don't start off with any assumptions as to what it'll be like. And, talking of making assumptions, neither Whirlygig nor I are "gentlemen"; we're members of the other half of the population.