PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU comp claim denied by BA. Next steps?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2007, 19:42
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsim
My recent BA flight HAM-LHR was, I was told at the time, cancelled due to a problem with the hydraulics.
I was, therefore, surprised to have my claim for EU compensation turned down on the grounds that the flight was not cancelled but was "only" delayed. The delay in question being 934 minutes, as claimed by BA customer relations.

My question is: is BA being disengenious here or are my expectations out of whack? Do I still have grounds to claim under the EU provisions and if so, how should I best proceed?
No compensation for mechanicals, anyway, isn't it? (I know, a bit of a simplification, but it's how the airlines are applying it.)

They have to look after you, but it sounds like they've done that. And they don't have to do any more.

If I've got this wrong, I'd be grateful for correction, too.

The flight may technically have been only delayed according to BA ops information, because the aircraft would still have had to come home at some stage. I agree it's confusing and the Regulation probably ought to deal better with such long "delays". But if, ultimately, you wouldn't have got any compensation anyway because it was a mechanical, it makes little difference.