PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2007, 12:04
Flying Fred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet II
I can see why you think the results didnt make a strike worthwhile but you forget that the majority of ground staff are not on the very generous salary package that you are and an increase in pensionable pay and extra increments would make a big difference to their standard of living
I can see your point here about the extra increments lasting forever and this is possibly a minor 'win'. However, as stated above, all that has happened in reality is that the 747 purser and lack of backdating has paid for this (for the time being, anyway). Could this not have been achieved by negotiation instead of pressing the nuclear button. Clearly the 'big' TGWU knew this and took over from the BASSA reps to settle this. The strike ballot over these issues was a huge own goal and will weaken BASSA for a long time.

As far as the pensions deal goes, we appear to be going round in circles.

All I can add is that flying crew were promised their pensions at 55 and you were promised yours at 60. Now we are both at 65. Both of these were part of our existing remuneration packages in the same way as pay & conditions are. Flying crew are having their package changed by more than ground staff, hence the 'sweetner' as you call it or 'transitional arrangement' as BA called it. As has been stated many times before, the trustees are happy with it and they have legal obligations to ensure fairness.

ATB

Last edited by Flying Fred; 1st Feb 2007 at 18:35.