PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2007, 11:22
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anybody in doubt about the complete climbdown which BASSA was forced into (if it was such a result why have two BASSA reps resigned in protest at what has been agreed by the TGWU on their behalf?) why not compare the 12original points in BASSA's list of demands and see what the result has been for each item?

Joetom,

Your post is so full of inaccuracies it appears your mind is made up but for what it's worth:

Looks to me like the company left nothink[sic] to chance with BALPA and its members causing problems like Strikes and offered them a good deal, well done BALPA.
The pension negotiations were conducted between BA, BALPA, TGWU, BASSA and the GMB. With some effort the unions presented a coherent plan and a united front (until BASSA deliberately avoided attending the meeting of January 4th). BA had no more desire for industrial unrest over pensions than the unions (well BALPA anyway). Presented with a meaningful, fully analysed and affordable alternative to the original proposals BA struck a deal, also acceptable to the trustees incidentally. It was not a gain for anybody. We will all either have to work longer for the same pension or retire as originally planned but with less. So it was not BALPA 'being offered a good deal'.

Looks to me like the company were trying their luck with BASSA and their members and took it to the wire, but in the end offered them a good deal, well done to BASSA.
BASSA's ballot took everybody (including BALPA) by suprise. Given the level of co-operation over pensions one would have thought that simple courtesy would have meant that BALPA would have been advised of their impending ballot. BASSA were trying to hurt WW with little thought for the consequences to BA, their members or, most importantly our passengers.

The pension money of £6m for CC was part of the proposed pension deal all along. BASSA have not just 'won' this as part of the strike settlement. Some weeks ago one of the BALPA reps. predicted they (BASSA) would use the money to increse CC pensionable pay but that they would keep quiet until proclaiming victory in their dispute. The four extra pay increments apply to post 1997 joiners and have been funded by NOT backdating the RPI + 0.2% payrise to October (historically backfdating has always occurred).

So please explain to me what BASSA have actually achieved from their origional demands, apart from screwing our passengers that is.

The main difference in the above is BALPA and its members are happy with the way they were treated, but BASSA and its members are not happy with the way they were treated and continue to be treated, if the company fail to repair the damage they have caused, the future will have pre-loaded issues waiting to bite them all the time.
Perhaps if BASSA members behaved as adults they would be treated as adults. Respect is earned not awarded.

However, now the Flying Staff pay and pensions have been sorted out(18.75% pensionable pay rise and bigger pensions for all)...
I fail to see how working longer or retiring on less is a rise in pensions. You are demonstrating a lack of understanding of the whole issue. The rise in pensionable pay is funded to offset having to work 10 years longer. It also increase everybody's contribution rates (percentage of a larger pensionable figure).

the company can now sort out its ground staff pay and pensions, interesting times to see if the company treat all staff the same, I would guess if the ground staff were to be offered 18.75% pensionable pay rise the pension issues would be fixed, but I think ground staff will have to pick up the tab for the Pilots and Cabin Crew pension deals, time to see if the ground unions can raise their game to BALPA or BASSA standards, enjoy the show.......
The pensions deals was finalised on January 4th, Nothing any union does now will change that. Ground staff are NOT funding the 'tab' for flying staff. Do you truly believe that, with their legal obligations and the penalties for getting it wrong, that the trustees of the pension fund would have agreed a totally inequitable deal?

Refresh my memory and tell me how much longer you will have to work for your originally promised pension.

The GMB are posturing. ALL the unions involved in the pensions negotiations KNOW that the deal is the best that was available for all and whatever any unions threaten it will not change. It is done.