PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Bulletin: Morecambe Bay
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2007, 09:52
Farmer 1

Combine Operations

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my constant concerns when approaching a platform was that for quite some time in the final stages, the PNF (Pilot Not Flying) has no visual contact with the helideck, because it is obscured by the instrument panel. The aircraft heading is offset by the PF so that he can have a better view of the deck. Depending on the size and layout of the platform, that might also be out of the PNF's view.

On a dark and stormy night he might have no external visual clues whatever in those latter stages of the approach - no moon, no horizon, an empty sea.

If the PF is late in realising he ought to go around or hand over control, or suffer subtle incapacitation, then it might be extremely difficult for the PNF to appreciate the gravity of the situation until it is too late.

Question: if there was a gyro fault such that, for example, there was a cockpit indication of a 38 degree AOB while the wings were level, what would the FDR indicate - level flight or 38 degrees AOB? The pitot-static system indications would surely be the same in the cockpit and the FDR? In the bulletin, there is nothing that suggests to me there was a fault there.

We obviously have to wait for the CVR data to be published. I know regular passengers were most concerned about the possibility of mechanical failure. Personally, I do not know what to wish for.