PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAE V2500 vs CFM56-5B on the A320 series
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2007, 09:40
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
There aren't many operators who actually made the intentional change from one engine type to the other (as opposed to fleets put together due to a merger), but there are a few. Best known is probably British Airways who operated 10 of the earliest A320s produced (thus CFM of course) for many years, but when they decided to enlarge to a substantial fleet chose IAE instead.

Many of the posts above are by those with practical experience of the types, and I get the feeling that overall you find the CFM better. I wonder what the factors were at boardroom level that led BA to go the opposite way.

Presumably it was in the overall financial package. It must have been a good one to overcome the costs of duplicated spares, training, etc.

My office is some 8 nm west of Heathrow and the fan howl from departing IAE A320 aircraft at maybe 4,000 feet at certain power settings is most noticeable **. To be honest I sometimes ponder how it got through the noise certification as it can be more noticeable than a 747. I have also been seated abeam the front cowl in the window seat, so about 10 feet away from it, on takeoff, and it really is like sitting next to the circular saw in a joinery shop. Fortunately it goes eventually as speed builds.

I have often wondered where the two engines are actually built, because with the volumes coming out it must be a substantial manufacturing operation. Knowing they are both international joint ventures rather conceals it, and their websites say nothing, but I believe the CFMs are built somewhere in France. Is the IAE built in Britain or the US ?

Last edited by WHBM; 1st Feb 2007 at 12:56. Reason: ** - 13.53 today, one just passed, buzz-sawing away !