PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air pilots still suffer from hierarachical system.
Old 1st Feb 2007, 08:09
Pollards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cultural differences

This is a fascinating insight into the cultural differences debate and for my money an example of PPRUNE at its best!
From a "Western" perspective I guess, as I have no experience of "Eastern" flying culture, there are plenty of elements here that are downright alien to our way of doing things, but the job still gets done!
We dont have to look far though to identify plenty of cultural differences between different backgrounds/nationalities in the West, I cite for example how up-tight we tend to get with R/T phraseology in the UK, and how relaxed our visitors from over the pond can be, but who invented mass air travel and where do more people fly more miles by air?
To get to the point, CRM is like manners, voluntary. On check or under observation we all know what is expected and tend to conform with accepted best practice, but out on the line individuals quickly revert to type.
If an individual does not accept the benefit of crew co-operation, or feels that they have all the answers, just telling them that they are wrong will not change their behaviour. Only by persuasion and by discussion with their peers and those they respect will the message get through.
That is where we often fall short, to be truly effective the basic tennents of CRM (Communicaton, Leadership, Error Management, Stress/Fatigue management, Situational Awareness and Decision Making) should also be demonstrated by management.
And that is where those with the big Egos reside.

Last edited by Pollards; 1st Feb 2007 at 08:13. Reason: typo