PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 3
Thread: Aer Lingus - 3
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2007, 22:33
senan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft options

Sorry to return to a previous subject about Aer Lingus aircraft selection, but I just joined the forum. Some points...

- I have worked as an engineer very close to the 787 programme for 3 years and I cannot see how Boeing will begin deliveries on time in mid-2008 and keep up with the initially planned production rate; the short development time is just too aggressive; they just dropped the wireless IFE feature of the 787 - don't be surprised if more compromises are to come
- Boeing have not even launched the 787-10 (310+ seater) that is a potential A330-300 replacement and the A350 does not have a US engine supplier yet (Rolls-Royce only). At best, this means EI can only order an undefined expensive aircraft, the A350; what is likely is that they can't make any long term committment for months to come (summer time at the earliest)
- this means A330 / A340 / (B777) aircraft will be Aer Lingus only option to put in service for some time to come (6+ years) - to add to existing services, more A330's would need to be ordered similar to the recent order for two, but this is difficult due to huge demand for all widebody deliveries; I think the A340-500/600 will see an order revival this year due to this pressure and now that oil prices have lowered
- Aer Lingus operate larger aircraft compared with any other airline flying from Ireland to the US so a Mayo route will only suit people from that part of Ireland; my opinion is that people don't want to spend more than 6 hours on a small aircraft - also EI have preferential access to JFK and other US airports; I have already heard complaints from people about travelling through the Delta terminal at JFK compared to T4
- as it is, EI have the 2nd lowest operating costs of any transatlantic operator, all major US and European airlines included; the lowest cost is Air India. This says a lot for the current Airbus based business model.