PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Explain lead-lag in a rigid rotor to me?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2007, 20:11
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explain lead-lag in a rigid rotor to me?

I understand the basics of lead-lag in a articulated or semi-rigid rotor: Basically as the advancing blade creates more lift, it is allowed to rise and therefore produce less lift. But in doing so it's CG changes inwards (just like an ice skater tucking their arms in - their RPM will increase) and will want to increase its speed. Therefore the advancing blade must allowed to hinge forward to accomodate this speed increase.

So far so good.

But in a rigid rotor system, it's my understanding that this is taken care of within the blade itself, by it being somewhat elastic. Fair enough. What I don't understand is this: how is this rise in the blade induced in the first place? If it's induced cyclically, then that means that the helicopter will have different cyclical behaviour depending on if it's hovering or moving forward - this has to be compensated for mechanically somehow or else the chopper would roll over the minute it went into translational lift. How's this done?. If not, then how does the advancing blade "know" it want's to go high and reduce lift?

Also, there has been some talk about ARR (absolute rigid rotor) systems - how would they work? What would the results be for a rotorsystem that is so stiff that it won't move in any way? Could it be flyable? What would the benefits be?