PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seajet XZ439 (N94422)
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2007, 18:07
Art Nalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MiG15,
I'm new to the chat room, and it's taken me a few minutes to figure out how to answer some of your questions.

I am the proud owner of the SHAR XZ-439 in the US, registered under N94422. It does have a FAA airworthiness certificate and I'm waiting official license to fly it under a Letter of Authorization (LOA). I've been told that will be approved and it's in work.

We are very near readiness to fly. Only a few minor discrepencies remain to be fixed. We're installing a radio and transponder, as we speak, and will refit a hot Stencil ejection seat when the radio is complete, prior to first flight. The engine has been ground run 3 times and I've taxied twice. I would have gladly taken it around the patch on the last taxi test, but now is not the time to get cute - - -everyone is watching. I've also had the good fortune to be granted two simulator sessions, trying to make the AV-8B sim fly like the SHAR. Believe me, they made me work, but I was happy with my performance. I was rusty, but not to the point that a few trips around the pattern couldn't fix.

The plane is in near-perfect condition (per the US Marines who have volunteered time on this) and we've gone over the entire airplane from top to bottom. It's complete for flying and in great shape. I've even located and we're installing an original AV-8A airspeed indicator (what I grew up with), instead of the small standby gages. We're taking our time because we certainly don't want to make a mistake.

I'm an experienced Marine Corps aviator having flown the AV-8A, AV-8B, A4-M and as a test pilot in the AV-8B and TAV-8B. Lots of shipboard time, as well. This airplane is as familiar to me as an old pair of shoes. I fly regularly in the airshow circuit in a Czech L-39 Albatros, but have demonstrated in a WWII Russian YAK-3 fighter, and am looking forward to demonstating this beautiful piece of history on the circuit.

We've got no shortage of experienced and qualified pilots willing to fly and a cadre of experienced maintenance people who know this airplane inside out. We'll need some spares, from time to time, but at this point don't see anything that will prohibit this airplane from flying.

I hope this answers most of your questions. If you have any more, please feel free to e:mail me directly. I'll be checking the chat rooms periodically and we're near to publishing a website. As soon as that happens, I'll let you know.

sincerely,
Art Nalls
[email protected]