PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Bulletin: Morecambe Bay
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2007, 09:39
Special 25

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I too am concerned that we seem to fear above all else the conclusion of Pilot Error. I believe that this is still the final conclusion in many aircraft accidents and incidents, and I assume that none of us can honestly claim to have never made a mistake, and I would consider that I personally have made and observed mistakes that have genuinely frightened me and could have had disasterous consequences. You learn from them, you discuss them openly, just to put that experience to someone else so that they may never get themselves into that situation, or may better get out of it.

I further agree with a point made by Malamo, that I almost hope for that conclusion - The thought that an aircraft suffered a terminal fault that was impossible to recover from, is something that keeps me awake at night !

Nobody is doubting the experience and professionalism of this crew and I've heard nothing but positive comments about both pilots. Whilst I didn't know them, its clear they were a good crew. I, like most of us, have no firm idea what caused this crash so I won't try to speculate, but if it ultimately turns out to be pilot error, few of us would be criticising the crew - I will maybe be able to read the report having learned something, but certainly I'll be thinking 'There but for the grace of God go I .....'