PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Descent Planning
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2007, 06:04
PPRuNeUser0215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For shortcuts the best thing is to be prepared. ie to expect/suspect it but of course it is only with some experience you get that.
On the other hand when it happens and I need a distance to help me achieve a CDA, I ask for a "Direct Intercept the Final course"(Not Direct the Waypoint) on the FMS. Pretty good and gives you a distance from position to, say the Final Fix then RWY.
Or look at your Nav Display and the Distance Rings from your position to the some point you have in the FMS, located on the final course (such as the FF).
You can the visualise how much you have to go before reaching the Final course, then read the distance from the FF to the RWY.
If I have time, I prefer the first option as this entry will tidy up what is displayed. If not, number two suits me too.
As for being prepared, I would tend to reduce the speed (if possible/allowed), say from 250 to 220Kts at the moment I think is opportune. That way, I save fuel (and noise) then if my plan comes to fruition (get the shortcut), I will convert this energy into ROD to recover my flight path (the one I work out as I hit the FLC, V/S button or whatever it is called).
No excessive fuel burn here too and the noise level in the cabin remains low as the engines are idling (bearing in mind PAX confort during pitch change, ie. what FLC as opposed to V/S).

PS: I Really can't spell

Last edited by PPRuNeUser0215; 31st Jan 2007 at 06:18.