PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying on a vanilla PPL
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2007, 20:18
tacpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Flying on a vanilla PPL

Can I check my understanding about night flying on my vanilla PPL (i.e. No IMC Rating / no Instrument Rating):

At night, there is no VFR Flight possible, so for me all flight must be under either IFR in Class F & G airspace or Special VFR in Classes A - D.

In Class G airspace, at night on a vanilla PPL, the PPL VMC minima still apply even though I'm flying under IFR. (?)

So in Class G:
Below 3000', I need 3KM vis (5KM if > 140Kts), be clear of cloud and in sight of the ground, and obeying Rule 5.
Above 3000', I need 5KM vis, be 1000' vertical seperated from cloud and 1500m laterally seperated from cloud, and in sight of the ground. Because I'm under IFR I also need to be obeying the quadrantal rule (flying the correct flight level for my magnetic track with 1013.2mb set on the altimeter) and flying at least 1000' above the nearest 'thing' within 5nm of my track. (?)

In Class D, I need an SVFR Clearance and 10KM of visibility (unless the airspace is notified for the purposes of Schedule 8 of the ANO), be clear of cloud and in sight of the ground (at least enough to 'determine my flight path' and 'avoid obstructions'), and obeying those parts of Rule 5 that apply. I have to do what ATC tell me what to do, but I can refuse if it would reduce my forward visibility to less than 10KM (or the notified limit), take me into cloud or out of sight of the ground. (?)

Is there anything I have forgotten or need to know further?

Thanks

tp