PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned Rearcrew - Will it/Should it Start Again?
Old 30th Jan 2007, 13:20
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Gents
The argument for NCO pilots is dead and buried, regardless of their contribution to WWII. It's not about "class"! It's not about educational qualifications!! The RAF is haemorrhaging pilots. Recruiting NCO pilots is likely to fix a non-problem for a very short period, once qualified they will be subject to as many push factors as officer pilots - only on an even lower (military) wage. Even the AAC with NCO pilots are finding that lots are leaving for better paid, and safer, jobs outside.
Please try to get this topic back on track. It was a question about commissioning rear crew (not including WSOs who are already commissioned). I have worked with many commissioned rear crew over the years and most have been bl**dy good at their job. As for empowered masters I cannot comment as I have been too long away from the front-line. What I do know is that there are many within the NCA branches who are complaining about their ceiling now being Master!!
Only current option for better pay? Get commissioned (in a different branch)! Good use of resources? Probably not!

BEB

To answer you question about the E3 captain. Leadership qualities definitely required, large crew, large ac with handling vices. The reason the pilot may have ended up on E3s was a perceived lack of handling ability when younger and thrashing around at low level and 420 kts. Not everyone can cope with that which is why the RAF streams pilots to either FJ, ME or RW.