PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2007, 22:38
Wazzoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appreciate the replys and advice guys..all very helpful.

Been trying to use them as much as I can this last few days and think I'm seeing some progress. I notice them less and can go for ten/fifteen minutes before thinking 'hey, whats these things perched on my nose'!

Loose Rivets is probably right in that I do become a bit preoccupied with the changes to my vision thus making it more difficult to adjust. I've been making an effort to ignore the impulse to look for problems and that has helped a lot. In fact if I just act normally and do everything as I would normally I notice them very little.

The diverging horizontal lines are still there but I'm beginnning to think thats improving and only notice it with things that are a foot or two away like a piece of paper or a computer screen. It can still be tiring whering the glasses for long periods but that is improving as well. The whole thing of straight lines shifting if I tilt my head is definately still there, but then as I think about it..its not a movement I would normally do even without glasses and I think I do it more because I know that it causes a problem than anything else!

Throught a bit of deductive reasoning and reading around the subject I also think the shifting when I tilt my head has a lot to do with seeing through the outer areas of the glasses rather than just looking through the middle, which is the part that has the correction for the astigmatism. I've read of a number of people like vapilot2004 who have found contacts helped a lot in this area.

The dream would be to have laser surgery, but that will definately have to wait for a few more years until the cash is available!

I will keep going with these glasses for the rest of the week which is what the optician said to do (don't want to go back just for him to say go away and wait some more!), and if I'm still not seeing a real improvement I'll go back and ask about a re-test or possibly lowering the prescription so my eyes don't have to make such a big correction.

Probably the best advice I could give with hindsight (no pun intended!) on the whole matter is at least for that first prescription, use a proper/dedicated opticians rather than one of the high street chains. Not that the high street chains give bad glasses, just I could have done with some more info from them and someone who maybe knew a bit more about corrective lenses in relation to flying and adjusting to them, especially when your livelyhood depends on it. I did get the feeling of being just another customer to push through the sausage machine than anything else. You can even get your prescription done at somewhere like that and once you know you have the right one, take that down to the highstreet chains with their offers to get the specs.

Will keep you posted if I get any improvements or anything more from the opticians!