PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lobsters
Thread: Lobsters
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2007, 21:14
UL730

Cut & Paste Intellectual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some years ago had a marvellous trip to Islay – an island off the west coast of Scotland. Took the family up in my trusty Aztruck and stayed at Port Askaig Hotel right next door to a rather special distillery called Caol Ila. (the finest of the magnificent seven)

Fisherman were landing fresh lobster every day and we purchased a fine specimen from the Sound of Islay (Caol Ila) It was a good size - about 3kg and although a mere midget compared with 20kg monsters found in North Atlantic – it was enough to create a sense of apprehension when I announced we would be taking it back – alive to Teesside. It was captured at about 150’ and as any diver will tell you – the pressure at 30 metres is for the specially trained (PADI Advanced Open Water or higher). We planned for FL90 on the return trip and I was concerned about the pressure differentials.

Would the beast survive?

Pas de problème! The cephalothorax remained intact and the creature took the whole journey in its stride.

Much discussion on arrival home about what parts could be eaten and how the coup de grace should be inflicted. The green bits looked most unappetising but a local expert advised that this was the part the connoisseurs enjoyed most.

Yer lobby is a tough critter, a good feast and resilient traveller.