PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Evac Q
Thread: Evac Q
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2007, 15:49
Dolley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ozangel
Great quote from the united FA who survuved the Siox City DC10 crash - when the fires to hot, water too deep or smoke too thick, save yourself.
Yes, it's a great quote and I believe in it 100%.

But unfortunately the same FA commited suicide a few years later because she couldn't cope with the 'survivers guilt'.

It's something cc has to be very aware of, that we might have to exactly make this decision: To save our own live whilst other people might die!
It sounds horrible but easy enough, obviously you would save yourself! But nobody thinks of the consequences this decision brings with it. It very hard and everybody has to make up their own mind and be aware of the responsibility (for YOUR life, and that of others). It's not easy but part of our job. Although we obviously all hope that it will never come to this.

About disabled pax, I would say without a doubt everybody else of first. It's not discrimmination, it's common sense. Don't forget, there would be a panic too, there is no way anybody would wait for the slow evac of a wheelchair pax. If it's still safe to do so the cc should assist after everybody else is off. If not, remember the seatnumber/location and let the professional helpers know. You won't only have disabled pax, you will have people who experience negative panic and won't move, might even attack you if you try to move them. You have to be aware that you might have to leave people behind. Let's hope it never happens!

At the end of the day, I believe, we all have to make our own peace with this question. There is no easy 'This is right!' or 'This is wrong!'. You have to be able to live with yourself afterwards, and that's probably the hardest part.