PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are there any celebrity spotters?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2007, 12:58
DesignerChappie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because spotters are all branded as freaks and geeks by the public (and media) finding a celeb version is not going to be easy. Certainly there are quite a few spotters and ex-spotters in the industry, (sir) Mike Bishop for one and there are at least two fairly senior guys in the CAA who are spotters, but this would not necessarily make them a good subject for the media. Even Radio 4 has to attract an audience and lets face it the're not going to pick me for Desert Island Discs because I'm not interesting enough to the audience.

I think DenhamPPL is trying to find someone that could make the programme more interesting to the general public rather than just spotters. Lets face it we would rip them to pieces over not knowing the difference between the aerial positions on different versions of Airbus. But the average Radio 4 listener is only interested in how much his ticket costs and does he peanuts or pretzel with his G & T. I've been a spotter since my mid-teens and my wife still can't believe I can derive any pleasure from writing aircraft numbers down. Yet she finds my database for my record collection perfectly acceptable.

Good luck with the programme, just try not to make us look like idiots, we can do that ourselves.