PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2007, 08:48
bonniejack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to you all. Truth is just like the first time around the first solo I did not find that exciting. For more important in my memory was the solo circuits for an hour or so a couple of days later. It is just more fulfilling to walk to the aircraft, preflight etc. and not wait for the instructor to jump in. I sorta sat there for a while thinking when is someone going to tell me to call for taxi. I have had two solo circuit sessions now. The first brilliant in absolutley flat calm conditions. The second I scared myself a little as whilst calm when I took off between the first and second landings the wind swung right around to about 80 deg off and picked up in strength before dropping and backing for the third landing. The second landing spooked me because althougth touchdown was good and tracking nicely once the noswheel touched it started darting from side to side. I assume that as I was holding a lot of rudder in to counteract the wind the nosewheel would be cocked to one side when it touched hence the dart off towrds the edge. After that I think the weaves were me overcontrolling the pedals with fright. Just goes to show the landing ain't over until you are stopped. Left with a mixture of confusion over the incident and pride that the touchdowns had been well sorted in what was the highest crosswind I have coped with yet. Starting on navigation exercises this week.