PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2007, 21:33
Little Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiley
I apologise for my error over the venue of JDs imprisonment, and yes it did seem fairly lenient for Dubai. I had read a large number of the posts before posting and a couple of those suggested that the offence occurred in Dubai. I have now read all of the posts including #135 which contained UK information.
I also note that you appear to work for Emirates so matbe you know what I'm talking about. So, whether you accept the information in my previous post as credible or not means nothing to me, it happened.
Which begs the obvious question: …and you “watched” this “routinely” for 9 years and did nor said nothing?
I do not and did not work for Emirates but did know some of the pilots to talk through my friendships with FAs and recognised others ditto. I suppose I could have called the cops or something, but aren't you guys who share a flightdeck in a better position to deal with it with less risk to these guys' livelihood.
I'm not on a soapbox ranting about sacking and banning people because they've had a few drinks. Flying whilst over the limit is an offence, its happening and if the industry doesn't deal with you can be sure, in this day and age, someone else will.
I work in the offshore oil industry where a number of companies now operate a zero tolerence policy where passengers can turn up at a chopper, fit to fly a plane, but will be sacked for failing the breath test and subsequent blood test.