PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2007, 15:21
Little Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider the following transgessions, then consider their possible effects on third parties, the normal punishments and ultimate effect on the livelihood of the offender:

1). Professional athlete - tests positive for prohibited (not illegal) substance, bearing in mind that prohibited substances may be found in over the counter medicines.

2). Joe Public - attempts to drive or drives a car whilst under the influence.

3). Bus Driver - attempts to drive or drives a bus under the influence.

4). Airline Pilot - attempts to fly or flies a plane whilst under the influence.

Which do you consider to be the most serious? Seems to me that professional athletes get a pretty rough deal in comparison!

I lived in Dubai for 9 years and routinely watched Emirates pilots drinking to excess before flying and some of those observed were repeat offenders. This suggests to me that these actions are not being policed by the peers of the offenders or the industry. Again these people were "nice guys" not alcoholics. They were enjoying a social drink and knew exactly what they were doing. I'm reasonably confident that Dubai is not unique in this.

We have all read from earlier posters the notion that "we have all done this at some point and got away with it" and seem to be offering it as some sort of defence for the offenders. If this statement is correct the colleagues of these individuals have also knowingly ignored the events, so the internal policing scenario seems a bit flawed.

In Dubai, where JD has been jailed, this punishment certainly is not extreme as you can end in prison simply for being the manager of a company in which an employee has been injured or killed. No defence is being offered for Dubai here.

No one wants to see anyone lose their livelihood but certain individuals are not taking their responsibilities seriously. If the industry cannot take care of its own dirty laundry then it deserves all it gets