PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Instrument flying PC trainer?
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2000, 15:46
TWINCOMM

Unhappy

Summer Cloud,

The package came with a full database (Europe in my case) and I understand databases are available for most of the world. There is a facility to make changes, ie. add your own airfields/lighting/navaids/define holds etc. You can also edit data in the database.

I use my own set of fully updated IFR approach plates, and the occasional frequency changes or beacon relocations are easily reprogrammed.

The current flight is recorded in the memory and the last hour or so can be replayed at a higher speed and a variety of zoom scales to monitor performance and accuracy at your leasure.

The kit is not cheap, looking at todays prices from one of the main pilot supply outlets here in the UK, the multi engine version 5.4 is £689 (Single engine is £499), the throttle quadrant is £175. I already had a yoke and pedals but the CH Pro pedals and CH pro yoke retail for £100 each.

The peripherals are all hooked up to a special comms box which connects to your PC via a spare Serial Port.

At first sight it appears expensive but if you consider it as the equivalent of 3 or 4 hours of multi engine aircraft rental (in the UK at least) you will get a lot more out of it than 4 hours of airtime will ever give.

I believe a demo CD is available which will give an overview of the main features and screen views etc.

The web site at www.flyelite.ch is worth a visit since you may be able to get up to date pricing. Taxes where you are may make things cheaper.

------------------
TwinComm

[This message has been edited by TWINCOMM (edited 27 May 2000).]