PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGPWS saves Finncomm Airlines Flight FC205 01.01.2007
Old 28th Jan 2007, 01:21
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Err... hold on a minute! Before Finncom (or any other airline) is labelled as an usafe operation, what do we know about these incidents? Seems that these reports emanate from a daily newspaper, so there probably aren't many technical details - it so happens I can't read Finnish

Skidding (partly) off the runway? What were the weather conditions at the time? I recall that an ATR and an ERJ-145 recently went off the runway at Bristol due to a combination of strong x-winds, ungrooved runway and contaminated surface (standing water). As far as I know, the CAA hasn't come down on the two airlines concerned - but the airport got into some trouble... Remember, the ATR is a high-wing aircraft with a narrow wheel track - which can make it tricky to land in strong or gusting x-winds.

The EGPWS event: might be a case of poor cross-checking or "confirmation bias". Maybe the same for the AFCS event, with both pilots having their head down; however, the ATR AFCS is notoriously not very user-friendly (thank you Honeywell!); too short a push on a mode push button and it may not engage. Here again, "confirmation bias" might have played a part.

If indeed that is the case, then these two (CRM-related) mistakes are pretty basic and I can't see the link with ATR using fixed-base sims for part of the type rating.

Cheers

FM (trained on ATR FFS throughout)