PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Age 60 Change
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2007, 22:56
Fropilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 65 age limit is here with us to stay. Let us be realistic:
1. I flew with some old timers (most still alive) who had to retire at 60 when they were in great shape and it sad to see them go - ( I am not a doctor/expert).
2. The issue has more to do with contracts and the need to retire early. For those who are in aviation for the love of it, the fact that you need a nest egg while important is not the driving factor. For those in it for the money for whom time spent in the cockpit is considered sacrifice for a good pension it is an issue.
3. The 65 rule is here to stay. The best way to handle it is to manage it properly than be emotional over it, so that it benefits the pilots.
4. The modern world is complex and I have come face to face with pilots who tell you they are only in it for the status and money.
5. A number of pilots have lost their pensions or face reduced pensions because of failed airlines/accountants who deeped into pension funds and the only way to survive beyond 60 is to continue working or face destitution.
So let those who can afford at to retire at 40,50,60, or 65 do so at their own bidding than be forced into destitution by arbitrary age numbers that have nothing do with reality and modern life.