PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hold DME figures
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2007, 13:43
devilsmartinirocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hold DME figures

Hi chaps/chapesses,

Can anyone be kind enough to inform me where I can find out what the distance in nm should be from an NDB at 2000 feet, 3000 feet, etc, at the thirty degree 'Gate' position (no wind), when utilising NDBs for holding? Also, when applying two or three times the single drift correction (for wind), on the outbound leg, is there any way of calculating how this affects the distance at the thirty degree 'Gate'? I believe, by applying these wind calculations, the 'Gate' can move, but only by as much as the value of single drift. Correct? Lastly, when directly overhead an NDB, is the nm displayed on the DME equal to a proportion of the actual height, i.e. at 6000' the display shows 1.1nm, at 3000' the display shows 0.5nm?

This information, together with the 'Gate' and the mighty stopwatch, will, hopefully, help me realise just exactly where I am on the outbound leg of the hold, enabling me to work out just what the hell I need to do to allow me to get back onto the inbound track for a "reasonable amount of time" before reaching the beacon.

Many thanks

DMR