PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are there any celebrity spotters?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2007, 12:36
DenhamPPL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PPRuNe Pop

I think DenhamPPL is perhaps just trying to advance an aviation view of spotters. After all, we were all spotters once and will stay one I expect.
PPP
Thank you PPRuNe Pop

I bet that ANY professional or G.A pilot will be looking skywards when they hear the sound of an aeroplane - not just your average "spotter". Why writing it down in a book should make that much difference I don't know!

Unfortunately the public perception of aircraft spotters/enthusiasts is of some geek with a fake fur anorak, thick black NHS glasses, a thermos and a well thumbed copy of Ian Allan's "UK Aircraft Registrations" standing at the end of a runway all day crossing off entries in his book. I know this isn't always the case. I've been there!(and I threw the anorak away years ago). I also know that spotters have a PASSION for their hobby and it is THAT SIDE of the pastime which I am interested in getting portrayed on the programme. This is Radio 4 not Channel 4

Originally Posted by PPRuNe Pop
Perhaps PPRuNe will also get a mention as almost certainly the world's best aviation site.
PPP
I am sure PPRuNe would get a mention. It has been an excellent source of inspiration and information for me as I worked towards my PPL.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR - I am quite upset by your earlier remarks. It was people like you on 120.4 who helped to inspire me and which eventually led to my spending thousands of pounds to gain my Private Pilots Licence. The GA industry is in dire need of new aviators to keep the training organisations and airfields profitable and out of the bankruptcy courts. I was hoping you would try and encourage someone who wants to help promote the positive side of the hobby to a wider audience.

There are SOME journalists who love aeroplanes and love flying. We may be in the minority but we also get equally as upset as you may when news about aviation is twisted to make a sexier story for the bulletin. Some of us are trying to paint a more positive picture.